DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
National History Day
National History Day (NHD) is a highly-regarded non-profit organization that sponsors a year-long academic program focused on historical research, interpretation and creative expression for 6 - 12 grade students, culmination in a national competition held in Washington, DC. NHD works with affiliate programs across the US and internationally to implement its programs.
NHD seeks a Director of Public Affairs to design and implement communication plans to increase visibility and media coverage and supplement external relations, including alumni outreach. The full-time position is based at the national office in College Park, Maryland and reports to the Executive Director. He/she will work closely with the Deputy Director and Director of Programs. The Director will periodically assist more than 50 affiliate coordinators with media strategies and communications.
Ideal candidates will possess most or all of the following qualifications:
- Develop and execute annual PR plan and track progress
- Create communcations guidelines for regional, state and international affiliates, including material templates, media outreach timelines, and best practice strategies
- Develop and pitch stories to regional, national and international media, and cultivate on-going relationships with key reporters
- Enhance visibility for NHD in all forms of media outlets, both traditional and new media
- Write clear and compelling pitch letters, press releases and by-lined articles
- Track media coverage and produce reports
- Track alumni
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in public relations and communications
- Bachelor's Degree
- Proven successes in both traditional and online PR channels
- Experience using social media and web sites to advance communcations initiatives
To apply, please send your resume, salary requirements, list of references, writing sample and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Director of Public Affairs." Salary is commensurate with experience.
- A strong team player with ability to both manage AND execute programs
- Proficiency using office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, presentation, and communcation skills
- Strong personal interest in history